Friday, January 3, 2014

Christmas in a SMALL Town

I grew up in a small town. It was a wonderful place to grow up. so many fun traditions like THIS one.
Christmas, though, was my absolute favorite growing up. Because we were in a small town Christmas wasn't as commercialized as it might be in a larger city. We didn't have a Target, Walmart, or Mall. I recall a particular Christmas. I was about 10 or 11 years old and our town was having a huge Tree lighting ceremony. Everyone in town was there. I sang "I saw Mommy kissing Santa clause"  directly after my song Santa Clause blew magic sparkling dust in the air and the tree lit up. It was the most incredible thing my little 10 year old mind could imagine. There were countless festivities leading up to Christmas day. Christmas Parade, raffles, School Plays, watching Christmas Movies at the old theater. The list goes on and on........ Our Little town was decorated like a small village in a snow globe.  It was simple and yet the most magical experience a child could have. I remember my 6th grade Christmas. My Teacher Mr. Joseph ordered LEATHER KITS  (Not this nice) for each of us students. I made a wallet for my Dad, a key holder for my Mom and a Belt for my older Brother. I wish I could remember what gifts I made for my other siblings. I so clearly remember What I made for my brother because on Christmas morning when he opened his gift "The Belt"  was clearly to small for him. He Simply smiled and thanked me. I felt so good inside knowing I had worked so hard to make these gifts for the people I love most. There is something wonderfully  beautiful about Christmas in a Small Town.


Every time I'm asked to sing Christmas music, I always make sure "Silver Bells" is on my list. It reminds me of Christmas in my hometown. Of course I change the Lyrics to "Country" instead of 'City". It just feels right

Here is a video of my Daughter and I singing "Silver Bells" a few weeks ago. Enjoy!

No comments: