Friday, January 3, 2014

Music In My Soul

 I always say music is my language, it's in my soul, in my blood but it's NOT who I am. I learned years ago music is something I do but it does not define me. I believe it's an unhealthy mindset when a performer of any kind uses the phrase "_____ is who I am".   I have been singing and performing since the age of 5. My professionally career began at the age of 10. It's all I've ever known. The stage feels like home to me. It would be easy for me to get caught up in the idea that singing is who I am. My worth as a person is much, much more than my singing.  By the time I was married I was burned out, tired and ready to take a breather from music. (Not singing) I would continued to sing around the house in my car anywhere I was alone. I made it clear to my newlywed husband that I didn't want anyone to know I was a singer.  I needed to figure out who I was without my voice without performing. About 8 months into my "Soul searching"  I saw a flyer for a singing competition at the mall. CASH PRIZES! Nothing is more appealing to a newlywed than cash. We needed that money and I was going to get it. So I got on stage, I performed and sang my heart out. It was completely therapeutic and I was reminded why I love to sing. Not to be a star, or be in the music business, or perform on stage but to communicate the best way my soul knows how......MUSIC!  There is nothing more rewarding to me as a singer/songwriter than sharing and communicating music from one heart to another. We all have a language, a way of expressing ourselves. what's yours?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: